Friday 28 February 2014

RHUBARB & PECAN CAKE



I'm quite a recent convert to rhubarb and I think what's really got me into it is the colour.  What a fantastic pink it is and the smell is lush too.  It's the sourness that really puts me off but what I've realised is that if it's accompanied by something really sweet I can cope.

Last night I was at my friend Vicky's and she served us Rhubarb cooked in vanilla with gorgeously chewy meringue nests, spot on.  I bought some beautiful scarlet rhubarb at my farmers market last weekend with no idea of what I might do with it.


I've used half of it for this cake that is almost a pudding.  You could also add some crystallised ginger but that would be a step too far for me, I really don't like ginger and can't see me changing my mind in the way I have with rhubarb.  This cake is also the perfect combination of sweet and sour with the sponge and the rhubarb compensating for each other.


170g Butter
170g Sugar
300g Self Raising Flour
3 Eggs
100ml Milk
400g Rhubarb
50g Pecans
2 tbsp Demerara Sugar

Cream together the butter and sugar then add the flour and eggs.  When they are well combined add the milk to loosen the mixture a little.

Chop the rhubarb into pieces half the size of your thumb and fold them into the mixture.   Line a tin around 27cm x 18cm in size  with parchment.  Pour the batter in and level out the surface.

Roughly chop the pecans and scatter over the cake then sprinkle on the sugar to finish.  Bake for 35-45 minutes at 160C Fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment