Friday 10 March 2017

APPLEBY'S CREAMY STOVETOP RICE PUDDING

 

My local farm, Appleby's has just started selling it's raw milk straight to the customers.  I don't understand why this hasn't happened before, such a great idea, imagine getting your milk on the same day it has been produced!  Raw milk means it's not been pasturised and the health benefits of  that are varied including helping with asthma and because of the enzymes still present it means those with a lactose intolerance can once again cows milk.

I reckon it's the nearest I'm going to get to milking a cow and can't stop myself from taking my bottle down for a refill. So I've been thinking up recipes for this gorgeously fresh milk.  Rice pudding, one of my ultimate comfort foods, is a must.  I am usually happy with a bit of jam, just like we used to have at school, but if the cows are making the effort, so will I and I've rustled up a berry compote which you can have hot or cold. 


 
Serves 4-6

In a medium sized pan, combine 200g Pudding Rice, 1ltr Appleby's Raw Milk, 100g Sugar, 40g Butter and 2 tsp Vanilla Extract.  Stir everything together then put on a medium heat and bring to the boil.  Keep stiring the rice while it heats to stop it sticking to the bottom.  Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and continue cooking for roughly 30-40 minutes till the rice has cooked.  You need to keep an eye on it and stir it now and then.  

Whilst the rice is cooking, make your berries.  In another pan weigh 250g Frozen Berries and 2 tbsp Sugar.  Warm through on a low heat till the sugar has melted and the berries are soft and warm.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment